Skype v4.0 now available
Skype has just released the gold version of Skype 4.0 for Windows. For those of you who may not know yet. Skype is a way people communicate around the world. Skype has more than 405 million registered users globally who use Skype software to communicate for free through voice and video calls as well as instant messages. Skype generates revenue through its premium offerings, such as calls made to and from landlines and mobiles, voicemail, call forwarding, and SMS. Conversations over Skype can take place on computers, mobile devices and Skype Certified™ hardware.
Some of the improvements in the new version include:
- Improved video calling. With the changes we’ve made, video calling in Skype 4.0 for Windows is the next best thing to being there. A new built-in bandwidth manager ensures that you have the very best video calling experience possible, even on a low bandwidth connection. If you have a fast enough connection (recommended 400 Kb/s or higher) and a high quality webcam, Skype delivers up to 30-frames-per-second High Quality Video at full screen.
- Calls and instant messages are easier to manage. Video and voice calls, as well as instant messaging, are all easy to reach in a single window. The new Conversations tab makes it easy to hold multiple conversations at once, and to switch quickly between video and voice calls, instant messages and SMS. This is particularly beneficial for the power users among you.
- Call quality is substantially improved. Thanks to a number of under-the-hood changes. Calls sound richer and clearer than ever thanks to support for Super Wideband Audio with compatible hardware. The bandwidth manager should ensure that you have crystal clear calls even when bandwidth is low.
- Version 4.0 also sports a radically overhauled user interface. A slicker, cleaner look with less clutter and easier-to-find core features. We’ve also included Compact View, which retains the structure of the Skype 3.8 interface for those of you who prefer to work that way.
- Improved the History and search features, and have added abuse reporting. If you choose to block a new contact request you’ll now be given the option of reporting the blocked user to Skype. This information will be used to help us detect and block the tiny minority abusive users.
Download Skype v4.0 for Windows.
Gerry Ilagan is into mobile apps and WordPress development at @speeqs. He loves to write about electronics, the Internet of Things, mobile phones, and #crazyideas.